Louie Giglio Launching Passion Church in One Week

Though my roots are not as deep as many, i do claim veteran status as a member of the Passion movement, counted among the "268 Generation" (united by the pledge of Isaiah 26:8). Starting with the 2003 Thirsty Conference in Atlanta for college leaders, God used the Passion leaders to absolutely, unequivocally, radically ignite a flame in me for the renown of our awesome Creator and Redeemer God. From Erwin McManus's clarion call to lay my civilized, Westernized Christianity at the foot of the cross and follow instead the "barbarian way" of Jesus to Matt Redman and Louie Giglio's vision of worship as "a whole life response to the greatness and grace of God," i was overtaken by a hurricane of grace. It was at that moment that i committed to letting my little story be subsumed in God's Great Story (read more about this part of my story here and here).

After over a decade of spreading a passion for God's renown to the college students of America—and eventually, all over the world—Louie and company (incl. Redman, Tomlin and the Knockels) have decided to take another step of faith, both smaller and bigger at the same time. On February 15th, they will be officially launching Passion City Church in the heart of Atlanta. In the beginning stages, it will feel like a bit of a mini-conference, as gatherings will only take place monthly for the first few months. It seems that they will be "nomadic" for a while, until the waters have been tested.

I have to say that, despite my increasing skepticism of mega- and attractional church models, i have loads of respect for these guys and the unprecedented and unparalleled Kingdom impact they have had on college students and young adults such as myself over the past decade. Without a doubt, Passion Conferences has exemplified, perhaps better than any other, what a missional conference ministry is like. No, it wasn't a roundtable. No, it wasn't democratic or even egalitarian in any sense. But it was profoundly strategic in terms of overall Kingdom impact. Traveling to major universities and regions across the U.S. (and eventually abroad), these guys leveraged all the energy and resources (not to mention creativity) they could muster for the mission of spreading a passion for God's renown amongst students with backgrounds and hometowns as diverse as America itself. They gathered people around the cross of Jesus Christ to corporately magnify His matchless greatness, to be transformed by His Word and presence, and sent them back out to serve the world in His name.

The question will be whether taking the conference ethos into the local church setting will produce the same kind of results. My hopes and prayers are that, by the will of God and in the power of the Holy Spirit, it does.

Comments

  1. Love the Jesus Movement. Cornerstone Festival was a big part of my latter high school/early college years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you happen to have a copy of erwin mcmanus' barbarian way talk from this conference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do. But I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to give/make you a copy. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:35 PM

    So you thought I like all you are well no it I like what GOD do need ME do it see you not like he say it well you stuff shirt you so what do I need it off no you not you needed let ME see you are what I AM need see you just go I AM well I AM come find her snooze it well what do she needed up and trim wick she about to see her GOD say what do I have you attention all eye glued screen well let me tell you short story I AM come five year up ago and I needed all church Roman it and Episcopal and say Stanley and say so so so other and what find no one want GOD save it like daugher son or nothing well what do lets ask oh I do it Passion City she need see her sing Awakening well she like it no drag feet I needed all see I need and say it I AM her stand and say Giglio look at GOD make say what do he hear do what do you have it email mine Jimmy333Be@hotmail.com and have it all well short do not needed all see all sign like five sign done in church in Northeast say fine do angel come to her my angel of uh I AM burning bush look angel of GOD say what do you not needed angel do well I need her she do what I AM say you no it some out and snooze it I AM on like shine do you like get sign of Noah he call animal come ark no so what do I see you like see it well I sent it big file off some excess like mine and let it pass to you no virus use a post it like computer library Atlanta angel of GOD in it do well what do show up at Passion naa I have you done it she go oh you have a CD and some print all let me see let Giglio get it he needed it we needed her up and go Second Pentecost all tongues fire all what say you go wow if true all is I AM honor line well what do better email get look drop jaw needed blood pressure medicine took it say you die see I AM mighty GOD do in day you in off it well what sign of call sign of her United States Bald Eagle chick no so what do she look and see angel see it photo her on end of tape what say angel I AM need all I AM make angel of GOD Call Atlanta church see five hundred church get say email no like slow United States mail she do she is coming see Passion weep for she needed her son and daughter away drug and fornicate it all what do she cry do she need do you needed all have a job I AM plan do call United States get her a job in Atlanta all over United needed it what do ask Passion I need do what you all do like job fair and let her I have come show her interview all like not need it do you well I say I needed all her have abundant I AM need it oh so what do other nation one billion SON in say thousand year she fine standing at GOD throne sign see we done off bye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts