Looking Into My Soul: iMonk on Theology, Depression and the Unsolvable Problem of the Right Church

I'm virtually dumbfounded right now, as i type. Those of you who have been around me in the blogosphere know a side of me that people "in the real world" don't... the raw, primal, impulsive side of me (i'm not proud of that, and am working on it, by the way!). As recently as three or four weeks ago, you know that my head and heart were spinning over a number of issues related to Christian faith and ministry. I spilled my guts to you in shorthand, and to some spiritual comrades in person at length. Lots of helpful counsel all around, and i'm soundly back on my feet.

I just subscribed to iMonk's blog (at the cue of Andrew Jones), and came across this post: "Theology, Depression and the Unsolvable Problem of the Right Church." It's a bit lengthy (yeah, lengthier than i am!), and a bit of a "run on post" (if i may coin a new term... remember grammar class?), but the thrust of the post hit me right between the eyes: he's talking about me. I've got to admit, it was a bit creepy reading it... i mean, fit me to a T! Awareness is step #1 though, right? Anyway, if you want to know way more about the inner workings of my heart and mind than you should, go read his post, particularly starting at about point 7.

Be kind,

matt

Comments

  1. Thanks for the link. I really appreciated the iMonk's reflection. As a student of psychology and theology I am impressed with the connections he makes between denominationalism and Christian existential depression.

    I recently co-authored an article on depression and the church for Christian Leader magazine. The issue is dedicated to mental illness (primarily mood disorders), and is written for a lay audience.

    I realize that your reflection (as well as iMonk's) is more about our core ecclesiologies and how they impact our faith, but because mental health and mood are intertwined with belief and experience, it's really important for the church (especially pastors) to have a solid awareness of mental health concerns.

    Thanks for the link. I'm going to pass this on.

    Cami, I'd like to read some of your work. It sounds like you've got a lot of original things to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post was a bit all over the place (i.e. did not stick to one, consistent theme), but the thrust of the better part of it seemed to be theological and ecclesiological perfectionism and its psychological effects. I'm not sure there's a correlation between denominational affiliation and psychological well being. I'm more inclined to believe that certain methods and agendas with which we approach God (which are characteristic of people with certain personality types... like ours) lead us into despair. Rather than the childlike faith Jesus speaks of, we have elaborate, rationally-constructed edifices which, at the pulling of a brick or two, come tumbling down.

    For me, healing has come through reconsidering in whom or what is my faith: my own ability to systematize God and Scripture, or the Almighty, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Transcendent, Eternal God who refuses to allow his creatures to put Him under their finger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insight, Cami. I think you're definitely on to something. There's a certain 'misdiagnosis' today of believers who mourn with those who mourn, and who carry around with them day by day the wounds of Christ. It's what happens, i think, when we come to grips with the reality of such a very, very fallen world... when we look upon the crowds and feel compassion for them the way Jesus did. Charles Sheldon wrote something that challenged me in a surprising way. In essence he said that it's relatively easy to love a person; loving—truly loving—a crowd is something quite different, something almost unbearable, but it's what the evangelist must do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm not sure there's a correlation between denominational affiliation and psychological well being"

    No. But, there are theological orientations that do contribute both negatively and positively to mental health. But that's not what I think he's saying.

    I think iMonk is saying that buying into the notion of denominationalism is different from merely affiliating oneself with a denominational statement. Furthermore, expecting to find an ideal embodiment of the "perfect church" may (will?) negatively affect well-being.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts