James MacDonald: The Great Tribulation is Very Near

The first word that comes to mind when I think about our pastor, James MacDonald's preaching is BOLD. But his sermon this weekend is the boldest I've heard in my three years at Harvest. The tone was the same as usual. It's the content that was so bold. While he's always unapologetic about the truth and authority of the Word, this takes things to a whole 'nother level. In short, he said he believes that we are now living in the 7-year period that immediately precedes the return of Christ. Because he takes a mid-tribulation view, he doesn't think we're in the midst of the "Great Tribulation," but rather the roughly 3-and-a-half-year period of "great sorrows." What that means is, in his heart he believes Christ is coming back less than 7 years from now.
To be frank, I was completely stunned when I heard this, and I'm still a bit weak in the knees about it. James is sticking his neck out big time on this one. I seriously do not think it has anything to do with what he had for lunch Thursday.
Do I think he's right? I don't know. He may be right. And what if he is? How would it affect your life if you knew Christ was coming back in less than 7 years? The truth is, He could come at any moment. Are you ready?
Listen to his sermon here, while it lasts. It will be up through the end of this week.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:15 PM

    Good post. When you connect the chart with the sermon, it seems he is saying we are in the 7 years(the chart has the sorrows in the beginning of the Tribulation). But I must say that it only mentions the wrath as coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:02 PM

    I take the sorrows as being characteristic of this age and only the beginning of a series of events which cover a long delay. In fact the point of the passage is to warn against the deception of thinking that events listed as "sorrows" were the end ("Let no one deceive you..."). Other things must occur before we are near the end such as the preaching of the gospel to the whole world.
    Are any of the other messages available online (the two previous ones)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for weighing in! The other messages are available for purchase here: http://store.walkintheword.com/c-99-single-messages.aspx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:04 PM

    Hello - I happened across your blog while doing a search on James Macdonald. I recently listenend to his broadcast on the Great Tribulation where he says "I believe the 7-year period may already be underway". It really shocked me when I heard him say this, so I went to walkintheword.com and paid for the full mp3 file - and that is EXACTLY what he says. Being that you go to his church...do you know if he ever elaborated on that statement, or clarified anything? I would think that many in your church would've been alarmed by his statement. I wonder if he ever said anything further about it, or retracted it in any way.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Thanks for your comment! What he said was he thought we were in the "birthpangs" or "beginning of sorrows" period, which according to his view is the first 3-and-a-half years of the Tribulation. By that measure, we're no more than 2 years from THE Great Tribulation (and Rapture). He did not retract, recant, or otherwise modify this view during the remainder of his series on Revelation, and I'm not aware of any further statements since then. My family and I have not attended there since October, as we've relocated to serve a church in Nebraska.

    Blessings,

    matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just happened on your blog as well doing a search on Pastor James. I missed that particular broadcast, unfortunately, but from what you are both saying, he said he "believes." So, it sounds to me like he is not stating a fact that he would need to retract or recant or anything. I've listened to Pastor James for quite a few years now (down here in the Lone Star state). I don't believe he'd state a specific time FOR SURE. So, if he said he believes, that's not a definite. And quite honestly, I must say that I believe we could very possibly be there as well, judging by what's happening in the world. Jesus did say we could know the times, just not the day nor the hour..just my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said. To say he knows... yeah, that would be intense. Still, saying he believes we are (not could be) in that time period is a pretty bold statement. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just that it's... well... bold.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts