Saved from CHURCH

There's a website that recently opened called Letters From Leavers. Leavers from what? From church. This website exclusively serves as an outlet for people who have decided that their lives are far better off without church as they have known it.
I've taken some time over the last couple of days to read several of their letters, most of which I was very touched--and challenged--by. Some of which I was ashamed, sickened, and enraged by. One particular story is destined to be told across the nation on radio shows, in magazine articles, on Oprah, if this girl wanted it to. I won't give you any more details about it, because I might spoil it for you. But take my word that this is a story you must read and share with others to read. It is not a really quick read, and will probably take you at least 10 or 15 minutes, but it will be well worth your time.

If you're a pastor, professor at a Christian college or university, or some other type of leader in the Church, this story has enormous implications for you. This woman is my age, which means that these injustices are going on in America TODAY, in our foster care system, and even in our churches! These injustices demand our action. Who knows how many tens of thousands of children share this girl's story, but have not emerged from their circumstances strong enough to tell theirs to someone who will listen. Ignorance is no excuse for allowing these types of abuses to continue. I won't pretend to have answers right off the top of my head, but together, we can figure something out.

Thanks for taking the time to read the story. I'd like to use this blog as a forum for discussing this problem, and I pray that we can be agents of God's healing grace for those children suffering in our own back yards. May God grant you the grace to do so.

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Enjoyed your blog, will go to church leavers and check it out. Cheers
    www.everyhomeachurch.blog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know I've run across your blog once before, but can't remember when or from where. We led a home church for about a year, and then passed the torch completely over to my friend Ryan and his wife Christina, before moving to Chicago. Read my "Celebrity" post for some interesting news about this church. The vision was/is to establish a center-city church planting network in Springfield, MO, with a central hub--coffee house/social venue of sorts downtown. While we were there, it was like pulling teeth to get people to buy into it. I guess that's the Midwest for you. Springfield is a very churched community, so people's roots were very deep in the institution. Even I had a difficult time cutting these roots. As of now, they're still planted, but I favor home churches as part of something bigger. Blessings to you and yours, brother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts